If I ran all things regarding Shelby County roadways, a few changes would be in order:
1. There would be a right-turn lane for those people headed west on U.S. 60 from Freedom's Way. It's frustrating to be held up by those go-straighters who have a perfectly good left lane!
2. There would be left-turn lanes for northbound and southbound traffic on Eminence Pike at Cropper Road/Old Eminence Pike. Crazy intersection with all the red light runners.
3. There would be no left-turn arrows that simply flash yellow. Either make them operable or get rid of them.
4. ALL drivers would have to use turn signals or be flogged. OK, maybe scolded and fined.
5. The traffic light at Main and 6th streets would favor Main Street, not 6th.
6. Mt. Eden Road would be four-lane from U..S. 60 to I-64. And it would be repaved.
7. There would be a signal on Freedom's Way at Harrington Mill Road. You risk your life trying to cross there!
8. The intersection of Mt. Eden Road and McMakin-McMullen Road is a disaster waiting to happen. I would remove the hills, like was done on Waddy Road near the interstate, for better visibility.
9. Speed limits downtown and near downtown would be strictly enforced. Actually, this happens fairly often, and I'm glad to see it. Keep it up!
All that said, I don't control things or people, so I'll have to continue dealing with whatever life throws at me and thank God for all the good things he provides — and that list is substantially longer than this one.
Writer James Mulcahy
spent 35 years as a newspaper journalist at small and large papers. He is currently a freelance photographer/writer/graphics designer, and he drives a school bus.